http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21261106-2703,00.html

'Soldiers in Dili massacre'
  a.. Stephen Fitzpatrick, Jakarta correspondent 
  b.. February 21, 2007 
UNIFORMED Indonesian soldiers were among the attackers in the 1999 slaughter of 
East Timorese independence supporters at the home of prominent Dili figure 
Manuel Carrascalao, a survivor of the attack claimed yesterday.
Florindo de Jesus Brites, a school student at the time, said he saw his older 
brother shot dead by an Indonesian soldier, whom he recognised. 
Asked how he could be certain of the attacker's status, Mr Brites, who suffered 
severe machete wounds in the attack, said: "He was wearing his uniform." 

The claims sit uncomfortably against blanket denials of military complicity 
made by former foreign minister Ali Alatas a day earlier at hearings by the 
Truth and Friendship Commission. 

The suave diplomat insisted that he had "no knowledge" of any Indonesian 
military involvement in the violence that swept East Timor in the months 
leading up to and days immediately after its 1999 independence vote. 

The commission - hearing its first public submissions this week in Bali - is a 
largely symbolic event with no power to force criminal prosecutions. 

It follows a series of national and UN inquiries into the chaos that killed 
thousands, but so far only one man, former Jakarta-backed militia leader Eurico 
Guiterres, has been jailed over the events. 

The commission has called former military commander General Wiranto and former 
president BJ Habibie, but neither is expected to appear. 

Mr Alatas's statement on Monday was the latest in a series of forays by the man 
who now serves as a foreign policy adviser to President Susilo Bambang 
Yudhoyono, to distance himself from East Timor's trauma. 

He last year published a memoir, The Pebble in the Shoe - East Timor being the 
said stone, with the shoe being Mr Alatas's career. He read from it in his 
evidence on Monday, in order to suggest: "as quickly as we can, we should 
finish this job and don't look backward any more". 

But for many East Timorese, the relative toothlessness of the friendship 
commission does not diminish their determination to remind Jakarta of the 
brutality perpetuated in its name. 

Mr Brites asked commissioners' leave yesterday to remove his shirt to display 
machete wounds sustained during the April 17, 1999, attack on the Carrascalao 
compound in Dili that left 12 people dead. 

He admitted he saw only two deaths: those of his older brother Eduardo, shot by 
the TNI soldier; and of a friend with whom he took shelter in a bamboo grove 
after members of two pro-Jakarta militias, known as Red and White Iron and 
Aitarak (Thorn), invaded the house. 

Mateus Carvalho, a leader in the Dili-based Aitarak group who gave evidence on 
Monday, said the incident was merely "an issue of revenge within the 
(Carrascalao) family" and that his members had helped the injured. 

Among the dead in the April 17 attack were Mr Carrascalao's teenage son 
Manuelito. 

Mr Brites said he escaped the assault by running from the back garden of the 
Carrascalao home after being taken for dead by militia members. He said he was 
taken to hospital for treatment but before receiving medical care for his 
wounds was forced to sing the Indonesian national anthem.

Kirim email ke