http://www.gulfnews.com/world/Philippines/10119196.html
Published: 19/04/2007 12:00 AM (UAE) Abu Sayyaf group demands 5m pesos for hostage release By Ulyssis Israel, Correspondent Mindanao: Members of the terror group Abu Sayyaf have demanded 5 million pesos (Dh391,485) for the release of seven workers who were separately seized in a village in the southern Philippines on Monday, a police official said yesterday. "The kidnappers, headed by Al Fader Parad, sent a text message to the police and demanded the ransom payment," said Chief Superintendent Joel Goltiao, police director of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM). "We are verifying the authenticity of the text message," said Goltiao, adding that policemen are now trying to contact the Abu Sayyaf kidnappers who have reportedly brought their captives to Parang, Indanan Complex, a mountainous area in Sulu. Suspected Abu Sayyaf members kidnapped a dried fish factory worker in a mini bus along the national road of Silangkan village last Monday. They also seized six construction workers who were on their way home on a dump truck on the same day. Peace settlement It was unclear whether the kidnappings were intended to divert troops who have been hunting for rebel commander Habier Malik and his men. They were former members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) which had forged a pro-autonomy peace settlement in 1996 Malik was blamed for deadly mortar attacks in Jolo last week. The Abu Sayyaf has active links with the Jemaah Islamiyah, the Southeast Asian conduit of the Al Qaida terror network. An estimated 300 to 400 Abu Sayyaf gunmen remain at large on Jolo, in Mindanao, 950km south of Manila.
