'Mad Men' Has Its Moment

By ALEX WITCHEL
The New York Times
June 22, 2008

Correction Appended

Matthew Weiner stood on the set of his hit show, "Mad Men," ready for
his close-up in extreme anxiety. He was watching the rehearsal of a
scene that seemed fine to me, better than fine, but his staccato
commentary was a scene in itself.

"He should be standing," he said of an actor who was seated.

"That should be on the table," he said of an accordion folder that an
actress had placed on the floor.

"They're overreacting, paying too much attention to each other." He
heard himself and looked slightly sheepish. "You'll see it turn from
theater to movie in the next take," he told me. "I want them not to
pay too much attention to each other, so it feels real, more
perfunctory. Not that TV thing." His smile was wry. "I'm very
impatient."

He should give himself a break. Everyone else has. "Mad Men," about
the world of advertising on Madison Avenue set in New York in the
early 1960s, languished for years after being rejected by HBO and
Showtime before the unlikely AMC (formerly known as American Movie
Classics) picked it up, making for its first scripted drama series.
The show had its premiere last summer and won instant critical
acclaim, a Peabody Award and the Golden Globe Award for best drama.
Its second season begins July 27; the DVD set of the first season
goes on sale July 1.

Weiner (pronounced WHY-ner) is the creator and show-runner of "Mad
Men," which means the original idea was his: he wrote the pilot; he
writes every episode of every show (along with four other people);
he's the executive producer who haggles for money (he says that his
budget is $2.3 million per episode and that the average budget for a
one-hour drama is $2.8 million); and he approves every actor,
costume, hairstyle and prop. Though he has directed episodes, most of
the time he holds a "tone meeting" with the director at which he
essentially performs the entire show himself so it's perfectly clear
how he wants it done. He is both ultimate authority and divine
messenger, some peculiar hybrid of God and Edith Head. "I do not feel
any guilt about saying that the show comes from my mind and that I'm
a control freak," he told me. "I love to be surrounded by
perfectionists, and part of the problem with perfectionism is that by
nature, you're always failing."

I recently spent three days on the "Mad Men" set, watching the people
who work there, along with auditioning actors, most of whom are
desperate to please Weiner, catch his eye, engage him. Rarely have I
seen so many people beam so insistently at a human who's not a
newborn. They're all expert practitioners of the current flavor of
show-biz persona: the down-to-earth, up-with-people next-door
neighbor who soft-sells his or her obsession with stardust and
self-interest with chitchat about, say, the kids, the brilliantine
smile buttressed by the unspoken prayer, "Don't write me out!"

So, after working for 18 years, most recently as a writer and
executive producer for "The Sopranos" (the episode in which Tony
murders his nephew Christopher was his), Weiner, who is 42, has
become an overnight success in a very particular, Hollywood way. He
is suddenly a "genius," a meal ticket and the 800-pound gorilla in
every room he's in. It is already show-business legend that he wrote
the pilot of "Mad Men" in 1999 while working on the Ted Danson sitcom
"Becker." In 2002, Weiner sent the pilot as a writing sample to David
Chase, who created "The Sopranos," which is how he was hired. That
HBO, under its previous leadership, passed on "Mad Men" while Weiner
worked on its biggest hit, leaving the field open for the upstart AMC
to reap the glory, is one of those stories that give underdogs of all
breeds in this town a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/magazine/22madmen-t.html