By Jared Newman, TechHive

JAN 25, 2018 3:00 AM PT

https://www.techhive.com/article/3250672/streaming-services/amazon-hulu-and-the-resilience-of-live-tv.html

Amazon, Hulu, and the resilience of live TV
Curated TV schedules still have staying power, even in the age of the
algorithm.

One of my theories about the rise of streaming video has been that live,
linear TV schedules would in most cases go away. Of course there’d be
exceptions for live events, such as news and sports, but for movies and TV
shows, a Netflix-style menu of on-demand video would suffice.

A couple of recent events have made me question that assumption. First came
the news that Hulu would be adding a traditional grid-based TV guide to its
$40-per-month channel bundle. It’s already in public beta on the web, and
it’s headed to TV devices in the spring. Shortly after that, Amazon added
its own live TV guide to Fire TV devices. Amazon doesn’t offer a bundle of
cable channels, but it sells premium ones, such as HBO and Showtime, as
standalone add-ons for Amazon Prime subscribers. The guide will let users
tune into live feeds from those channels and offshoots such as HBO Family
and Showtime Beyond.

It turns out that even in the age of streaming video—when algorithms can
learn from your viewing habits and predict what you’ll want to watch—the
live, curated TV schedule still has staying power.

*Just give me something to watch*

Even with the current version of Hulu, which emphasizes on-demand video
over live channels, scheduled programming remains popular. Hulu’s senior
vice president of experience, Ben Smith told me that Hulu TV bundle
subscribers spend 54 percent of their time watching on-demand video, which
means almost half of users’ time is still spent on live TV. While news and
sports make up the bulk of that viewing time, Hulu has also seen other uses
flourish as it tests the new live TV guide.

“The one that we’ve found particularly engaging for people are movies,”
Smith said. “It’s a behavior on the service where we’ve seen people have a
very simple request: ‘I just want to watch a movie.’ And this is where the
guide really helps.”

It’s worth noting that Hulu’s apps already have a section for movies, which
are either selected by algorithm or curated into lists by editors. Even so,
users seem to like the idea of picking from a list of live channels that
already have movies playing on them.

That behavior might also explain why Amazon added a live TV guide to its
Fire TV devices. Right now, Amazon’s guide doesn’t even offer breaking news
or sports channels. The guide is strictly a way to see what’s airing on
premium channels from HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz. And most of the
time, they’re airing movies that users could also access through an
on-demand menu. Again, there seems to be some allure in finding those
movies through a linear TV schedule.

Amazon and Hulu aren’t the only ones embracing live, linear TV in the
streaming age. Pluto TV mimics the cable guide with its scheduled lineup of
streaming video channels, and some individual apps, including CBS News, Red
Bull TV, and Comet, launch directly into live streams. Of course, the TV
guide remains alive and well on other streaming bundles, such as Sling TV,
PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, Philo, and FuboTV.

*An escape from the machines*

In the past, I might have argued that live TV’s resilience is just a
failure of today’s on-demand interfaces, which if anything don’t go far
enough in recommending the right movie or show to watch. Netflix has talked
for years about improving its algorithms in pursuit of this goal, so that
one day the perfect video for you would start playing right when you open
the app. I agreed with that notion, figuring that linear TV schedules would
seem archaic once algorithms could determine exactly what you want to see.

But maybe what people really need are a break from those algorithms, which
already dictate so much of what we see in search results and on social
media. Perhaps there’s comfort in having a finite set of viewing options to
choose from, all endorsed by another human somewhere.

That doesn’t mean streaming video can’t improve on the linear format that
cable TV established. Unlike with cable, streaming services often allow you
to jump back to the beginning of a live movie or show so that you don’t
miss anything. They also create more opportunities for human curation
through user-made playlists and joint viewing sessions. Facebook recently
started testing this kind of synchronized viewing, and the streaming bundle
Philo plans to offer a similar feature this year. It’s not hard to imagine
someday launching your favorite TV app and just jumping into whatever movie
or show your friends are watching.

One of streaming video’s virtues is the promise of seemingly endless
choices on what to watch, often for less money than a traditional cable
bundle. But as Hulu and Amazon have helped make clear, there’s one thing
cable TV got right: Sometimes it’s nice to have somebody else make those
decisions for you.