FCC temporarily silences WUOG

by Patrick Yawn
University of Georgia Red & Black

Published , March 24, 2005, 06:00:01 AM EDT

http://www.redandblack.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/03/24/424239ca59717

The University radio station WUOG 90.5 FM is currently off the air, and no firm date has been set for its return to Athens' airwaves.

Sarah Moore, publicity director for WUOG, said the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) jumbled up a renewal form for the station's broadcasting license. The form was sent to the FCC over a year ago, she said.

The FCC could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

WUOG -- a completely student-operated station -- is in its 32nd year, as of October 15, according to the station's Web site (www.wuog.org).

The station had a problem in the past with the FCC. It was shut down for non-compliance of FCC rules from Feb. 18 to April 6, of 1981, according to Georgia Magazine's December 2002 issue. WUOG was forced to fire all 100 of its employees because of the ordeal.

"The situation (with the FCC) is being handled right now," said Brianne Nunn, the station's graduate adviser, in an e-mail to The Red & Black Wednesday. "WUOG should be back on the air shortly."

Nunn, who refused to comment over the telephone, sent an update to WUOG staff Tuesday via e-mail.

"We are going to have to fill out some paperwork to get back on the air. I am waiting for a certified public notice from the FCC, then I can submit the paperwork," Nunn wrote in an e-mail update to WUOG staff members. "Realistically, it should take a couple of weeks but hopefully it will be sooner."

As of press time, no WUOG staff members at the station's office were available for comment.

================================ George Antunes, Political Science Dept University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204 Voice: 713-743-3923 Fax: 713-743-3927 antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.