What's Next for Apple?

Steve Jobs won't ever tell you -- but we will. Here's what a trail of
intriguing evidence reveals about where the world's hottest company
is going.

By Paul Sloan, Paul Kaihla, April 2005 Issue

Steve Jobs was rocking back and forth in his chair at the head of his
conference room table -- and venting. It was January 2002, and the
target of his ire was the music business. The industry was reeling
from Internet piracy and, as Jobs saw it, doing nothing about it.
Even Jobs himself, a man accustomed to commanding people's attention,
had been largely ignored by music execs. Jobs railed to his audience,
a few Apple (AAPL) lieutenants and Paul Vidich, then a senior exec at
Warner Music, about the industry's total lack of imagination. "Until
now," Jobs said, "I've never had a living, breathing music executive
come to Apple."

Vidich sat quietly.

"Why is it," Jobs continued, "that the people who run the music
industry just don't get it?"

Vidich could have taken this the way Jobs certainly meant it -- as an
insult. But as Vidich listened, he couldn't help thinking that he
agreed. Finally, he spoke up.

"Steve," he said, "that's why we're here. We need some help."

It's amazing to consider what has happened since that encounter at
Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. In three years Apple has
utterly changed the way people listen to music, and Jobs has become
the hero of the very people he was lambasting. Top acts are eager to
sell their music via the iTunes music store. The iPod music player
has become totemic; it's selling at a rate of about 40 per minute.
White buds sprout from so many ears that a sudden human evolutionary
adaptation seems to have taken place.

http://www.business2.com/b2/web/articles/0,17863,1037197,00.html

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.