November 14, 2005

Hollywood Unions Object to Product Placement on TV
By SHARON WAXMAN
NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/business/14guild.html?pagewanted=print

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 13 - A group of show business unions are denouncing the
creeping practice of "stealth advertising," the integration of commercial
products into the story lines of television shows, which they say deceives
audiences and forces writers and actors to do jobs they were not hired for.

The Writers Guild of America, West, and the Writers Guild of America, East,
with the support of the Screen Actors Guild, will hold a news conference
Monday calling for a code of conduct to govern this latest twist in the
world of advertising, in which product placement has become increasingly
central to plotlines.

Reality shows like "The Apprentice," soap operas like "All My Children" and
even prime-time scripted hits like "Desperate Housewives" have all adopted
the practice of writing products into the shows as a way of attracting ad
dollars that have faltered in the age of TiVo and hundreds of cable choices.

One episode of "Desperate Housewives" last season on ABC, a division of the
Walt Disney Company, involved one of the characters getting a job as a
spokeswoman for Buick's LaCrosse, in which she extolled the virtues of the
car. Buick is owned by General Motors. WB has a deal with Procter & Gamble
for inserting its products in "What I Like About You." But reality shows
are the most popular vehicles for product placement, with everything from
contestants on NBC's "The Apprentice" being required to write a new Burger
King jingle, to "The Restaurant," also on NBC, which mentions an American
Express credit card numerous times in a number of episodes.

A spokesman for NBC, which is owned by General Electric, declined to
comment without having seen a position paper the writers guilds are
expected to release on Monday.

That paper says: "We are being told to write the lines that sell this
merchandise, and to deftly disguise the sale as story. Our writers are
being told to perform the function of ad copywriter, but to disguise this
as storytelling."

"Just as there is an established right to truth-in-advertising, there
should be a similar right to truth-in-programming where advertising is
concerned," said Alan Rosenberg, president of the actors guild, in a
statement also to be released on Monday. "The sharp increase of product
placement in film and television too often takes place without any
compensation to the very performers that are expected to push those
products and more often is done without any consultation with those
performers."

The unions are calling for clearer disclosure to viewers when products are
integrated into a show's story line, and for greater say in the practice by
actors and writers. "Failing that," warned the writers' memorandum, "we
will seek additional F.C.C. regulation."

Patric M. Verrone, president of the Writers Guild of America, West, said
the practice had become worse in the age of reality programming. "They
started doing it in reality TV, where writers don't have union protections
and are easy marks for getting this kind of material in there," he said.
"You're less likely to find it on network prime-time series, but the creep
is moving in that direction. It has become intrusive and overwhelming to us
as a union of writers."

Gary Ruskin, who runs the consumer advocacy nonprofit group Commercial
Alert, said the networks were already in violation of existing Federal
Communications Committee regulations regarding sponsorship disclosure, and
that more rules were needed.

"Product placement is dishonest advertising," he said. "It's stealth
advertising," adding that his group had already petitioned the commission
to require greater disclosure.

"Sponsorship identification has been required since the outset of
television advertising, but it hasn't been designed to handle sophisticated
product integration such as this," he said. "The rules need to be updated."

Writers and producers said they struggled with juggling their primary jobs,
to create entertaining programs, with the often last-minute demands of
product integration.

Scott Miller, a story producer on the reality show "American Dream Derby,"
a horse-racing contest that appeared on GSN earlier this year, said he was
required to get Diet Dr. Pepper, a product of Cadbury Schweppes, into every
episode, complicating his efforts to get contestants to interact in ways
that served a story line.

"These were moments when people were crying, or two cast members were
screaming at each other, or two allies were sneaking off to strategize, and
there were several times when it was: 'Let me stop and make sure everyone
has a can of Diet Dr. Pepper,' " Mr. Miller said. "I'd literally be below
the frame line, handing a can of Diet Dr. Pepper to someone who didn't have
one. First and foremost, I want to tell a good story. I'm not necessarily
there to help make a commercial."

Rich Cronin, president and chief executive of GSN, which is jointly owned
by Sony Pictures Entertainment and the Liberty Media Corporation, said the
network took care that the placement of the soft drink was not intrusive.
"I don't think it's that big a deal, to find one point in a one-hour
episode to have someone have a beverage," he said.

And he warned that the unions were swimming against the tide. "Because
there are so many TV networks, because TiVo and personal video recorders
are so popular, there's going to be more product integration," he said.
"But networks have to be careful to do it organically, otherwise viewers
will reject the programming."

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.