Venus Express enters planet's orbit

By Reuters

http://news.com.com/Venus+Express+enters+planets+orbit/2100-11397_3-6059808.html

Story last modified Tue Apr 11 08:43:59 PDT 2006

Europe's first space probe to Venus slipped smoothly into the planet's
orbit on Tuesday and sent its first signals from there to Earth, ground
controllers said.

The 1.3-ton Venus Express took off on a Soyuz rocket from Baikonur in
Kazakhstan last November, traveling 250 million miles through space to a
mission scheduled to last 486 days.
Venus Express

"Everything went as it was planned, clearly, without difficulties," Gaele
Winters, European Space Agency director of operations, told a news
conference. "This is a great success."

Priced at a relatively modest 220 million euros ($265 million) and built by
companies from 14 countries, the Venus Express underlines the ambition of
European scientists to be at the cutting edge of exploring the scope and
origins of the universe.

"It all comes back to the basic question that I'm sure just about everybody
has asked--how did we turn up here out of all that?" said David Southwood,
director of science at ESA.

Venus Express will take another four weeks to reach its operational orbit
before sending back data from a hellish atmosphere made up mainly of carbon
monoxide and clouds of sulphuric acid, where temperatures average 842
degrees Fahrenheit.

But in other respects, including size, mass and composition, Venus closely
resembles Earth, and scientists will use the data to look for answers as to
why so near a counterpart has evolved so differently over the last 4,600
million years.

Shrouded by a layer of clouds 12 miles thick and buffeted by extremes of
temperature and pressure, Venus is Earth's nearest planetary neighbor but
is an enigma to science.

Its dense atmosphere creates a supercharged greenhouse effect, spinning
around the planet in four days in a "super rotation" phenomenon that
scientists cannot explain.

Some researchers have said there may once have been life on Venus. They
hope to obtain clues about greenhouse conditions on Venus and whether any
comparisons about global warming on Earth can be drawn.

Beyond that, the scientists are hoping that Venus Express, a virtual twin
of the Mars Express craft which has been providing spectacular images of
the Red Planet since 2003, will be the stepping stone to further European
space missions.

"We (Europeans) aren't finished with the planets," Southwood said. "We're
planning to go back to Mars, and we're planning also to go to Mercury, one
of the most mysterious of planets very close to the Sun."

Officials at the ESA's Space Operations Center in Darmstadt, Germany, said
the Venus probe had completed a braking operation to gain position to be
dragged into the planet's orbit.

After a brief period when the craft passed behind the planet and out of
contact with Earth, transmissions were received at 2:12 a.m. PST, according
to the Agency's Web site.

It will orbit the planet's poles well above the cloud cover from a distance
of 250 kilometers to 66,000km, collecting data with instruments designed to
build on observations from previous missions to the planet.

One Venus day is the equivalent of 243 Earth days, due to its slower rotation.

Atmospheric pressure is 90 times greater than on Earth, and no space probe
that has gone into the planet's atmosphere has survived for long, with a
Russian device setting the record of 110 minutes before melting in the heat.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.