Cable Eyes Quadruple Play

By John Eggerton
Broadcasting & Cable

5/11/2006 11:19:00 AM

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6333845.html?display=Breaking+News

The consortium of cable companies--and Sprint-Nextel--working on boosting
cable's triple play to a quadruple have reserved the right to bid in the
FCC's June auction of advanced wireless services spectrum.

Some 1,200-plus licenses are up for grabs, enough to build a national
network. The cable industry, which is already delivering video, Voice over
IP phone service, and Internet access, is looking to add wireless service
to its bundle as it prepares for increased competition from the phone
companies in its video space.

The cable companies, Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, and Advance/Newhouse, have
been part of a wireless joint venture last year, and are already planning
to test service in seven test markets, Time Warner Cable Presdient Glenn
Britt told investors in New York Wednesay. Britt said he was pleased with
the joint venture's progress.

But the new spectrum, being reclaimed from government use would allow them
to expand that effort. While Time Warner and the others have reserved the
right to bid, the consortium has not yet said whether it would. It has
until June 1 to decide, when upfront payments are due, according to a
Merrill Lynch analysis of the auction.

Bidding for the AWS spectrum by the joint venture is described as separate
but "contiguous" with its  wireless market tests.

"We are evaluating whether it would be a good idea to have a more direct
interest in wireless spectrum," said Time Warner in a statement.
"Accordingly, we, together with our partners in the Sprint-Nextel joint
venture, are planning to file a Short Form Application at the FCC to
participate in an auction of advanced wireless service spectrum, which will
start on June 29.

"The filing of this application does not obligate Time Warner Cable or
other companies to bid in the auction, but it provides us the flexibility
to take part should we decide it makes business sense to do so."

The advanced wireless services auction in June is different from the
auction of spectrum for advanced services in the 700 mhz broadcast band
(ch. 52-69), which is scheduled for 2008.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.