Page 6B

Time Warner buys remaining part of Court TV

By David Lieberman
USA TODAY

05/15/06

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/money/20060515/courtv15.art.htm

NEW YORK — There's order in Court TV after Time Warner, which already owned
half the cable channel, paid partner Liberty Media $735 million on Friday
for its 50% stake.

Time Warner will put the service, which reaches 86 million cable and
satellite subscribers, into the entertainment group of its Turner
Broadcasting System unit.

Henry Schleiff, who has been CEO since 1998, will serve as non-executive
chairman and work on the transition and public service initiatives,
including the channel's efforts to promote TV coverage of courtroom
proceedings.

Although Court TV will be housed in the entertainment unit, TBS chief Phil
Kent says that when there's a newsworthy trial, “there's going to be an
enormous amount of cooperation (with CNN). It won't affect in any way what
trial CNN will cover, or not.”

Turner Entertainment Group President Mark Lazarus adds, “We will be smart
about sharing resources, but we won't sacrifice either brand.”

The channels already know each other well, even though Time Warner didn't
manage Court TV's day-to-day operations.

Former prosecutor Nancy Grace moved to CNN Headline News from Court TV,
where she still hosts a show. And Court TV's Catherine Crier began her
television career at CNN.

Court TV, though, “represents a strategic investment in one of Time
Warner's most successful lines of business — our news and entertainment
cable networks,” Time Warner CEO Dick Parsons said in a statement. “We look
forward to working with our friends at Liberty Media in the future.”

That seemed to be a sly reference to Time Warner's negotiations to sell the
Atlanta Braves baseball team to Liberty. Kent called those talks “ongoing”
but declined to provide further details.

The price for Court TV, which values the enterprise at nearly $1.5 billion,
is the most tangible sign of its comeback since 1998, when Time Warner and
Liberty bought out another partner, NBC. At that point, the channel
launched by journalist Steven Brill in 1991 had fallen on hard times after
a burst of popularity during the O.J. Simpson trial. It was only in 30
million cable homes and major cable operators, including Cox and MediaOne
(now owned by Comcast), were threatening to drop it.

Since 2003, “it has shown significant (revenue) growth each year,” says
Kagan Research senior analyst Deana Myers. “The new programming has made it
a significant player in cable TV.”

Court TV's prime-time lineup includes several talk shows and real-crime
shows including Cops, Forensic Files, Psychic Detectives and Body of Evidence.

Myers says that this year, Court TV should generate $292 million in
revenue, up 10.2% from 2005, with cash flow of $88 million, up 15.8%.

In addition to the cable channel, the operation — formally known as
Courtroom Television Network — also runs popular websites The Smoking Gun
and CrimeLibrary.com. In addition, a subscription broadband video service,
Court TV Extra, enables people to watch several live trials.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.