XM Sub Growth Slows; Sirius Gains 64 Percent

By Amy Gilroy
TWICE: This Week In Consumer Electronics

7/6/2006 7:55:00 AM

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6349946.html

New York — As expected, XM Satellite Radio reported significantly lower
subscriber additions for the second quarter than for the period last year.
Rival Sirius Satellite Radio, however, reported strong additions of 600,460
net new subscribers, for a 64 percent gain over the quarter a year ago.

By contrast, XM cut its subscriber gains by a third from the quarter a year
ago, achieving net additions of 398,000 new subscribers, compared with
647,226 subscribers added for the quarter last year. XM’s product sales
were hampered by delays this spring, which hit just as the Major League
Baseball (MLB) season kicked off — a key period for XM as it owns the
exclusive satellite radio programming rights to MLB games.

“As we previously indicated, subscriber growth in the second quarter was
limited by product availability and overall softness in the retail
channel,” said Hugh Panero, XM president/CEO. “As we approach 7 million
subscribers, however, XM Satellite Radio remains one of the fastest growing
consumer entertainment products,” he said.

XM failed to ship its much anticipated XM/MP3 players (the Pioneer Inno and
Samsung’s Helix and Nexus) in the first quarter, and missed the March ship
date for its new low-cost AGT Sportscaster, creating a perfect storm of
negative effects as XM could not advertise without the key products and
therefore missed the early part of baseball season.

The Sportster, Inno and Helix have since begun shipping.

Dan Murphy, product marketing and distribution senior VP, said in an
earlier interview, “The delay of the AGT Sportscaster was a problem because
we had been out of the leader price-point product for a month or two.”

He noted the delayed products and the delay in marketing “was part of our
determination to reduce our guidance.” XM in late April reduced its
subscriber guidance for the year by a half million, to a total of 8.5
million by the end of the year; though still a 40 percent growth over the
year earlier, Murphy said.

XM remains the market leader with a total of 6.89 million subscribers,
compared with Sirius’ total of 4.68 million subscribers. Sirius expects to
reach 6.2 million subscribers by the end of the year, compared with XM’s
forecast of 8.5 million.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.