Hi Mark!

I propose to split the topic and discuss the creation of ACL for MW in
this thread.

I see three sub-tasks here:

0) Writing a good proposal of how ACL should work. Will it be based on
namespaces? or maybe categories (although it's hard to imagine)? or
maybe per-page access? I can help to describe this vision document.

1) coordination with WMF and including ACL into Roadmap. First we need
to be sure that the possible patches to the core:
  - will not be rejected just because of philosofy of openness
  - will not be removed after several versions
I've got no ideas how that can be done. Probably via RFC with
signatures of interested companies.

2) Searching for the developers and tester. There are many possible
developers that may be interested in this task: HalloWelt, Custis,
DIQA-PM, maybe even Wikia. Besides there are a lot of independent
developers here

3) Fundraising. For independent developer it's possible to ask for
individual engagement grant [1] but mostly it should be a crowdfunding
from MediaWiki-related companies.

For that task we need a person who has personal contact with many
MediaWiki-related companies and is ready to contact each of them
asking to take part in funding. I'm not sure who that can be (maybe
me, maybe someone from organizing comittee of Wikimania or Wikisym,
maybe someone from WMF) but it's going to be a god damn lot of dirty
work that needs funding.

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Individual_Engagement_Grants

Cheers,
-----