James Sullivan wrote:
>Well, yes and no.  Early word processors were quite buggy,
>and they had to produce postscript to send to a laser printer...

Hmmm, the "early word processors" I remember were HARDWARE. I guess that makes
me ancient. :-)

>...but improvements were made and today we expect word processors to work
>flawlessly...

Well, yes... except they don't. :-)  My wife's word processor (Word 2008 on the
Mac) crashes almost daily. And even the most sophisticated word processors
today lack advanced features for writers.  Consider a simple search-and-replace
that changes "MediaWiki" into "Wikimedia."  What if you want replacement only
if "MediaWiki" is in a level-1 heading?  Or only when it's part of a URL?

I'm going off on a tangent, so I'll stop here. :-)

Anyway, I agree with your points in principle and definitely welcome
improvements to ease-of-use. I just don't think they're going to come in the
form of a fantastic WYSIWYG wiki editor, because the features that make
MediaWiki great, as opposed to merely good (templates, parser functions, parent
& child categories, etc.), seem incredibly difficult to support in WYSIWYG, and
even harder to prevent novices from deleting by accident.

DanB