-----Original Message-----
From: Platonides [mailto:platoni...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:25 PM
To: mediawiki-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] installation issue with 1.16.0 - mysql user privilege

That's what bug 20634. In some cases there were problems in updates due
to not being able to CREATE/ALTER tables, thus what r56285 does.
> Give the installer-created database user CREATE TABLE and ALTER TABLE rights
> so that upgrades will go more smoothly
================================

I understand that part.  What I don't understand is when I upgrade a wiki, for
example from 1.15.1 to 1.16.0, the wiki's database user is not granted ALL
privilege during the upgrade process as is done during a fresh 1.16.0 install.
I know this because I was able to update a wiki to 1.16.0 successfully,
including running update.php, using my mysql user account, which is not the
root account and does not have permission to grant a database user "ALL"
privilege, which is why I get the error during a fresh i.16.0 install.

So if I have two wikis, one upgraded to 1.16.0 from an old version, and a
1.16.0 that was freshly installed, their database users have different
privileges, with the freshly installed wiki's database user having ALL
privileges and the upgraded wiki's database user having whatever privileges
were given it during its creation with an older version of mediawiki,
presumably less than ALL.  The question I have is whether this will lead to
problems in the future, such as upgrade to version 1.17.0, where the database
user may be assumed to have ALL privileges.

In other words, during the upgrade of a wiki to version 1.16.0, should
update.php grant the database user ALL privileges as part of its update of the
database, so that the database user has the same privileges as a newly
installed wiki's database user?  Or am I missing something and both upgraded
and freshly created database users do have the same privileges?

-Jim