Hi,
That’s nothing to do with the ReadOnly mode.
That error message is a bug with the overall login system, including WMF
CentralAuth. It has been reported to happen on many wikis, including production
systems like wiki farms. I believe an attempt to fix the bug has been made in
version 1.30 or version 1.31, but I’m not positive on that.
Usually what I’ve found is that if you DON’T “go back and refresh the previous
page” and just login again immediately after seeing that error message, the
second time it will be successful.
— Amanda