It is well known - small simulations are better with single core than
multicore. In order to get a reasonable speed-up on a multicore a
simulation should exceed e.g. 100 Mb (in occupied memory). Just use a
higher resolution and see how the speedup will change. If increase of
resolution leads to better speedup then there is nothing wrong with
your setup.
Besides, MPICH is known to have poor performance with multicore
systems, use OpenMPI instead, it is much better.