Dear Steven G. Johnson and MEEP users,

I am doing a simulation of a line defect with air holes square 2D PhC. Using
MPB I have found the frequency of a defect in the PhC band-gap, using a
supercell. After that, I have use MEEP to find the quality factor of the 2D
PhC. Really, I did first in MEEP the simulation to obtain the flux with the
pure structure (without line defect) and normalize it with the flux obtained
without structure as usual. From that I find the spectrum, where it is
clearly visible that the band-gap is present in the same frequency range as
in the case obtained with MPB.

Now the question: when I simulate in MEEP giving the fcen and df obtained
for this band-gap (where the defect is located), I wait for the source to be
off (that takes approx. 260 units), and also wait for other 1000 units. With
that situation, I achieve a Q factor of 4.000.000. If I do that with 3000
time units, I achieve the same results, but if I do it with more that 5000
there is no results using Harminv. I have also inspected the field, and
could see that in the first case the mode is clearly present, but in the
case of 6000 time units, the last slices present a lot of pixels and it
appears as it were a very high order (very high) mode, some kind of artifact
(fast random field - even more, one can see how the field begins to degrade
as the time passes).

If the Q is so large, it has to remain unchanged for a lot of time, so what
is the field pixeled? I am quite sure that the defect is real, because from
other simulations I could also find with MPB two defects in the band-gap
(also with high Q factors, 300000 and 900000), and after that doing the MEEP
simulation I could see how they interacted with each other. Applying a lower
df, I could observe only one mode without problems. Moreover, the error that
comes with Harminv is very low (10e-12) in contrast with (10e-8) for the
imag. frequency. Why is the field pixeled?

Thank you very much,
Gerardo.