On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 01:36:54 +0100, Georg Wachter <georgwach...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the simulation of small metal structures with meep, I unfortunately
> need
> a ridiculously high resolution,

Hi Georg,
since we are working with a similar FDTD problem (simulation of small
metal structures) and the same program - Meep - would you mind telling a
bit more precisely what resolution you need? I am doing some
experimentation with scattering from a nanosphere and I have got the
impression that simulating accurately a *spectrally* sharper resonance one
needs a higher *spatial* resolution, does this make any sense? The only
bit
of information that I have at the moment regarding this is that if in a
Drude model for a metal I decrease the damping, then I need a better
spatial resolution to simulate with the same accuracy the scattering at
the
plasmon resonance. I haven't yet tried with structures different from a
sphere. Also, I have noticed that for the same model of the metal (same
Drude- Lorentz parameters) a 3d simulation requires higher resolution than
a 2d simulation.
Right now I get decent results for a 20 nm diameter nanosphere in two
dimensions (so it is actually a cylinder) with 0.5 nm resolution, but they
do not seem to be enough for 3d (I am trying a calculation with 0.25 nm
resolution now). I compare the FDTD scattering efficiencies with Mie
theory.

The point of all of this is figuring out what is the coarsest resolution
which gives decent results, and doing the "actual" simulations with that.

Giovanni

Giovanni Piredda
Postdoc - AK Hartschuh

Phone: ++49 - (0) 89/2180-77601