Dear Steven,

in the release notes you write that now Meep supports anisotropic
dispersive materials. The Meep reference says that the sigma-conductivity
tensor must be symmetric. But as I know its not the case for magnetised
plasmas. For example in the cold collisionless plasma at a fixed frequency
the susceptibility matrix is Hermitian. Which implies that the Meep
sigma-conductivity matrix must be anti-symmetric (proportional to the
imaginary part of the susceptibility matrix). So it seems to be impossible
to model such a medium in a narrow bandwidth as you suggest.

On the other hand may be it is possible to write a dispersion relation for
certain types of plasma waves in the Lorentzian form as you suggest. That
is we will have different media for different wave types. But in general it
is impossible to isolate and simulate (excite) one specific wave type,
others will also be present in the simulation. Examples are the ordinary
and extraordinary waves in a cold collisionless magnetised plasma. So it
seems to be also impossible to model such a medium by means of your
dispersion mechanism in Meep.

Am I get it right, it is still not possible to model an arbitrary medium in
Meep in this release?

Thanks in advance for your answer. And thank you for the great software you
create.

---
Roman Zubov,
Polar Geophysical Institute