Hi, John,
other people have asked a similar question and I am afraid it is not
implemented yet.

It is one of the features I proposed to implement in the mail few weeks ago:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.science.electromagnetism.meep.general/4959
However, I did not get any reply so far, therefore I am waiting before
I submerge into the rather nontrivial C++ code to decide the right way
how to implement the function. It seems the best way would be to clone
add_dft_flux_plane() etc.

If I understand it well, do you need just to save the amplitude
spectrum of one field component?

F.