Hi meep users,

I am trying to compare results of transmission down a coaxial-Bragg fiber in cylindrical coordintates to results of transmission down the same fiber in cartesian coordinates (in 3D).  I eventually want to explore aspects of the fiber which will require cartesian coordinates but first wanted to check my work by comparing results from the same fiber in the two coordinate systems.  The results are not the same.  I can mess with parameters in the cylindrical coordinate system and find that I get similar results if my flux plane is double in the cylindrical system.  I have been assuming that when in cylindrical coordinates in meep, I specify the cylindrical flux plane by radius.  If the size is (size 4.5 0 0) centered at (0 0 0), I have a circular flux plane with radius 4.5 and area pi*(4.5^2).  In cartesian coordinates, I specify the flux plane as a square area: (size 9 9 0).  Which has an area of 81 centered at (0 0 0).  Is this correct?  The results are only the same if the flux plane in cylindrical coordinates is (size 9 0 0).

Since cylindrical coordinates allows me to use my laptop for simulations, I would really like to be sure that when I submit my code to  a cluster, its going to give me an accurate result that I can compare with the simulations I run on my computer.

I have attached two ctl files, one for a cylindrical waveguide in cylindrical coordinates (cwgtrans2.ctl) and one for an elliptical waveguide in cartesian coordinates (ewgtrans.ctl). I have verified that both codes generate the same dielectric structure when the axis of the ellipsoid are the same.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Amanda