Dear John,
I believe your paragraph on setting the epsilon at one given frequency
is correct: The real part can be set directly. The imaginary part of
permittivity is introduced by setting conductivity.
I use the same approach and the frequency-domain computations give
results that can be directly compared to those coming from Fourier
transform of time domain data and to the experimental data from our
laboratory. There is a relatively good match.

HOWEVER, according to to my experience so far, the real part of
permittivity may never be negative even in frequency-domain
computation in MEEP. Whenever I defined the
constant-part-of-permittivity to be  negative, the FDTD/FDFD
simulation always became unstable. You wrote that it "generates NaN
fields if negative real permittivities are invoked", so this could be
the case (except for the detail that NaN data always identified an
instability in my time-domain computations. I never ever observed NaNs
resulting from a frequency-domain computation in MEEP. Are you sure
e.g. MEEP terminated correctly?)

I can see two solutions:
1) use epsilon=1 and some high conductivity; this defines a lossy
conductor. You will correctly simulate electromagnetic resonances up
to infrared frequencies, but no plasmon-related effects.
2) Switch to a FDTD simulation with a long enough gaussian source,
which takes more time thand FDFD, but enables realistic metal model.

BTW if I am correct, there is a little misconception in your last
paragraph: The PEC is characterized by epsilon just going to "complex
infinity", not "minus infinity". If epsilon was huge real positive, it
leads to huge permittivity --> PEC, if it was huge real negative, it
is a lossless metal with tiny electron mass --> PEC, if it had huge
positive imaginary part, it is a inductance-free conductor with tiny
resistivity, again --> PEC. Complex infinity has no sign.

Hope this helps,
Filip Dominec
IOP ASCR, Prague