>From my personal point of view, MEEP is mostly used for scientific
research rather than engineering. Most simulations therefore deal with
complicated physical interpretation of rather simple structures. The
highlights of MEEP are the possibility to defive various physical
phenomena and its scripting interface that enables to build complex
pre- and post-processing around the actual FDTD computation.

This is also my case: Being able to easily inspect the structure in
Mayavi or Paraview, I had no issues with definition of the model. In
fact, the time spent "programming" the structure is negligible
compared to that one spent with debugging the simulation, or comparing
the results against other sources and dealing with the physics around.
I will be interested if one writes a CAD for MEEP, but it has to be
competitive to the existing workflow I am used to.

If an interface to some CAD is to be written, the CAD should in optimal case:
1) be fully parametric, to allow scanning through parameters or their
automated optimization,
2) enable to define all other MEEP structures, such as field sources
and monitors, perfectly matched layers, boundary conditions etc.,
3) be also aware of the discretized grid of FDTD, so that the
structure can be defined with single-voxel accuracy.
If these features would be missing in the CAD, my workflow would be
arguably more efficient if I stayed with Python scripts and Paraview.
In fact, I find the programming interface surprisingly friendly.

Regards,
Filip