Dear MEEP users,

I am trying to characterize the scattering properties of an object. In
particular, I am interested in computing the scattering cross section and a
number that indicates whether the object scatters mostly forward or
backward. Thus, my idea was to compute an asymmetry factor similar to the
one defined in eq. 3.40 here (https://www.ess.uci.edu/~
cmclinden/link/xx/node19.html).

While the scattering cross section can be obtained by the fluxes out of a
surrounding box (as shown here http://juluribk.com/2011/
06/01/scattering-extinction-absorption-cross-sections-of-
silver-nanowires-infinite-cylinders-using-meep/),  the only way I can think
of to compute an asymmetry factor is to use the near2far field feature of
MEEP and integrate over a spherical surface. This requires a lot of
far-field evaluations which takes a lot of time. Is there a more clever
approach to compute this number (or an equivalent quantity)?

Thanks for your considerations.

David Kleiven