> I do not know, why p explodes, though. In principle, even if a p is set
> somewhere outside the metal region because of some yee-grid shift, it
> should decay as fast as anywhere else, or not?
>
> The whole problem, btw, disappears if you just put
> inside the LOOP_OVER_VOL_OWNED, but that seems like a shitty solution
> (just ignoring all the nice yee-grid stuff)

I don't really understand why it's unstable at first glance, but I agree that
the source of the problem here is the Yee grid: you are apparently at a Yee
grid point that is outside your metal, but an adjacent off-diagonal component
is inside the metal.

The "if (s[i] != 0)" workaround seems fine; it won't degrade the accuracy since
we don't have subpixel smoothing for Lorentzian susceptibilities anyway.  If
you want to submit a pull request with this fix that would be great.