My understanding, that I've verified with just running the structure in
MPB, is that the modal decomposition only takes into account the geometry
argument of the flux region. So for the example you've linked, the modes
that are found are plane waves, as the geometry argument of the flux region
is the purple line, which is embedded in homogeneous space.