Perhaps I'm not understanding, but I don't think I'm (necessarily) creating
a supercell in my construction of the problem. For concreteness let's
assume the simulation is set up as follows: X/Y each span [-5,5] um. If I
place disks at (-2.5,0) and (2.5,0) I have definitely created a supercell.
However, if I place them at (-1,0) and (2.5, 2.3) I don't see how that
creates a supercell. Only positions that have distances between them that
are integer factors of the total cell size will produce supercells (which,
in general, is unlikely). It is a completely reasonable concern that I'll
accidentally create a supercell and that will produce errors, but doesn't
approach 2 naturally avoid that outcome? Shifting the produced fields would
(perhaps naively) seem to me to be the same as shifting the source as
suggested in the book referenced in that FAQ. Or, do I need to both
spatially- and phase-shift the fields produced from each disk individually?
It wouldn't be hard to multiply the fields by a phase-factor after
circularly shifting them.

-Ben