For your reference, we recently added a new tutorial example which demonstrates how to compute a density map of the absorbed power:

https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Python_Tutorials/Basics/#absorbed-power-density-map-of-a-lossy-cylinder

On 6/17/20 12:21, J. Philip Haupt wrote:
Sorry to bother again. While I think this works, I have encountered some issues and am wondering if they're avoidable. Namely, when I use add_dft_fields the run time is substantially increased and when I use output_dft, the file size is tens of GB.

I am ultimately interested in the total absorbed photon density (for all frequencies) of the cell integrated along the y axis. Is my best option using add_dft_fields (for the entire volume), calculating Im(ε(ω)) |E|^2/hω, then integrating both frequency and space along y?