From: Ardavan Oskooi <ardavan.osk...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2021 5:47 PM
To: Liang Chen; meep-discuss@ab-initio.mit.edu
Cc: cq.chenli...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Meep-discuss] Instantaneous space-time-dependent absorbed power
density in a lossy material

To compute the time-dependent absorbed power density is straightforward: you
would need to manually compute the dot product of the complex conjugate of E
and dP/dt by using P=D-E. You can obtain the time-dependent E and D fields
using the `get_array` function:
https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Python_User_Interface/#array-slices<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Python_User_Interface/*array-slices__;Iw!!Nmw4Hv0!jt0G2d3ZLlG7sYXPOgib2kMX4_p7Nikvb7BjDfjbcUBn8IqwHuAL7Lmi-5yBcPyLSrcD$>.
 Note though that the fields obtained using `get_array` are interpolated to the
center of each Yee grid voxel which means there will be some discretization
error when computing this dot product. (This discretization can be reduced by
increasing the grid resolution.) Also, you will need to be careful about the
finite-difference approximation you use to compute the derivative dP/dt to
ensure that all the quantities used to evaluate the dot product are at the same
time instant.