On 16/08/2016 5:36 PM, William ML Leslie wrote:
​What does something like this do for you?​

That is an official, gold plated win!

Thanks for your persistence William. Everything is utf-8 now. I found a Windows registry hack to convert the codepage to utf-8 or actually cp65001 as Microsoft prefer to call it. No more cp850 or cp1252. Then I adjusted your ...

with open(csvfile, "r", encoding='utf-16') as csv:

... to utf-8 and we have readable output. I'm cooking again.

Apart from beer next time we meet and a glowing credit in the project contribution list you have my sincere gratitude.

Fantastic

Mike

    with open(csvfile, "r", encoding='utf-16') as csv:

    Â Â Â  self.rows = csv.readlines()

    Â Â Â  for
    ​i, ​
    line in
    ​enumerate(​
    self.rows
    ​)​
    :

    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  cells = line.split(",")

    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  if i >= start:

    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  print(', '.join(cells)
    ​.encode('cp1252', 'replace').decode('cp1252')​
    )

    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  if i > finish:

    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  break

--
William Leslie

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered under copyright law. You absolutely MAY reproduce any part of it in accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this in. Any attempt to DENY YOU THOSE RIGHTS would be illegal without prior contractual agreement.