Issue 48 demonstrates that we don't check delta status from within
binary incr calls.  I've written tests for both incr and decr to show
the problem, but I don't have a way to report the error.

  Currently, I'm using einval, but that's just kind of wrong since
that's more to do with the input than the server-side state.

  Does anyone have any suggestions for better error reporting here?
It's a bit of a corner case, but it would actually simplify things
considerably as we currently have no easy way to provide varying
response messages by error code type.

  What is definitely wrong is sending down EINVAL with "Invalid
arguments" as the error message.