This is very odd. If I run it from the command line (with or without
vv) it works as expected. If it starts from init.d it doesn't work.

[r...@rhd011 test]# /etc/init.d/memcached start
Starting memcached:                                        [  OK  ]
[r...@rhd011 test]# ps aux | grep memcached
101      29441  0.0  0.0  52448  1008 ?        Ssl  20:07   0:00
memcached -d -p 11211 -u memcached -m 64 -c 1024 -P /var/run/memcached/
memcached.pid

^^the above does not work

[r...@rhd011 test]# /etc/init.d/memcached stop
Stopping memcached:                                        [  OK  ]
[r...@rhd011 test]# memcached -d -p 11211 -u memcached -m 64 -c 1024 -
P /var/run/memcached/memcached.pid
[r...@rhd011 test]# ps aux | grep memcached
101      29473  0.0  0.0 128064   996 ?        Ssl  20:09   0:00
memcached -d -p 11211 -u memcached -m 64 -c 1024 -P /var/run/memcached/
memcached.pid
^^the above works

What the heck is the difference?

Jay