Got it. I see the line you mentioned in the test code.
I executed the following steps but still see same issue. (I ran ./configure
after the echo command)

Here are the steps:

OKALE-M-33H5:memcached-1.5.7 okale$ echo "hello" | saslpasswd2 -a memcached
-c -p ok
OKALE-M-33H5:memcached-1.5.7 okale$ ls -lrth | grep -i 'memcached.conf'
-rw-r--r--   1 okale  staff   116B Apr  6 15:28 memcached.conf
OKALE-M-33H5:memcached-1.5.7 okale$
OKALE-M-33H5:memcached-1.5.7 okale$
OKALE-M-33H5:memcached-1.5.7 okale$
OKALE-M-33H5:memcached-1.5.7 okale$ cat memcached.conf
mech_list: plain
log_level: 5
sasldb_path:
/Users/okale/Library/Caches/Homebrew/memcached-1.5.7/memcached-sasl-pwdb
OKALE-M-33H5:memcached-1.5.7 okale$
OKALE-M-33H5:memcached-1.5.7 okale$
OKALE-M-33H5:memcached-1.5.7 okale$ ./memcached -S -v
Reading configuration from:
</Users/okale/Library/Caches/Homebrew/memcached-1.5.7/memcached.conf>
Initialized SASL.
mech:  ``SRP'' with 15 bytes of data
SASL (severity 2): no secret in database
sasl result code:  -4
Unknown sasl response:  -4

Client side:
OKALE-M-33H5:mycode okale$ ./testsasl ok hello localhost
Set failed: AUTHENTICATION FAILURE
OKALE-M-33H5:mycode okale$

Is there a specific location where memcached.conf and the sasl db file:
memcached-sasl-pwdb, need to be put?

Thanks and Regards,
Om Kale

---