Absolutely. That's exactly the workflow it's designed for, we just haven't
updated any of the systemd scripts to be more friendly for it.

Also a caveat; there _was_ a bug fixed relatively recently with the
restart code. I don't know if ubuntu backports these. If you use large
objects (> 512k) there's a chance restart won't work sometimes. Worst case
you can probably file a bug with them to backport the patch or upgrade
memcached.

Good luck!