Friday, June 15, 2007

I cleaned the engine off some.  Messy, and used up all my brake
cleaner, gotta get some more.  (I wonder what the case price is?)  I
also sprayed on a bunch of engine degreaser, but I'm not in a place
where I can use the hose for a rinse.  That stuff makes everything all
slimy and drippy, unlike the brake cleaner.  I may have to push the
car outside for cleaning at some point.  Almost everything below the
head line is oily, greasy, and/or dirty, most of it quite caked on.  I
can, however, visualize how leaking valve covers, chain tensioners,
power steering, and injection pumps could be responsible for it all,
so I'm not going to blame the head just yet!

I removed the dead AC compressor, and its mounting bracket.  (The
latter for cleaning purposes.)  I used more rubber stoppers on the
exposed lines to prevent the incursion of moisture and dirt.  There
are no obvious signs of 'Black Death', but I haven't yet looked
closely for AC debris.  The exposed O-rings are black, not green or
blue; I'll probably put in the green ones I got in an AC ring kit at
Harbor Freight when it was on sale.  ($10 for 224 or so of mixed
sizes.)

I put the IP in a box for show and tell purposes.

...At lunch I took the pump to the shop.  The woman manning the desk
couldn't tell me anything other that one of the guys would look at it.
(They were all out.)  I also stopped and bought a case of brake
cleaner, $2 a can on sale rather than the usual $3.

...And an hour later my wife called and said they'd called and could
do nothing with it.  So back I went, all the way downtown.  (I was
attacked by a 'chicken' during the freeway trip, which was quite
startling.  I'd rolled the windows down and the buffeting dislodged
the Chicken Wagon's mascot from the first aid box and it came flying
forward at my head, nest, plastic eggs, and all.  The raffia nest made
quite a racket as it rattled forwards at me and then swirled around in
the back of the car.  Good thing I don't have a weak heart!)  The pump
guy said that they never saw those particular pumps and suggested Coast
Diesel in California, a place I'd even heard of, though it may be under
a different name now.  I'm not going to do that, as it was running well.
But we chatted a bit about my potential leaks.  He rummaged in a box
and found a big green O-ring that looked like it would fit the flange.
He gave me about four of them, in fact, and said it was their standard
seal.  He also gave me a few various sized small O-rings to try on the
shutoff shaft seal.  He noted that it was quite loose, and that the
whole pump would have to come apart in order to properly fix that.
The bushing is worn, but he thought I might be able to jam the O-ring
in to help stem the leak somewhat, and pointed out that there was oil
sign on the body that indicated it was leaking from there pretty
heavily.  He warned against letting that shaft push back into the case
while the lever was off as the pump would then have to come apart to
get it back out.  I have the dead 4-cylinder pump in the woods I can
play with to learn on.  There was no charge for the O-rings and
advice, he just asked that I bring him some regular business when I
could!  I appreciate the courtesy, and will of course throw what
business I can his way.  (Of course, everybody I know with the VP44
has _already_ had their pump replaced.  But I suppose if it happens
once it could happen again.)

Saturday, June 16, 2007

More engine cleaning.  Four cans of brake cleaner later I was woozy,
and decided I'd had enough for now.  (The garage doors and windows
were all open, and it was a low-VOC non-chlorinated product, but
still...)  Things are a lot cleaner nonetheless, though I'm not done.
Along the way I removed the alternator and its bracket, and placed
both brackets in the solvent tank after first giving them a good
scraping.  My 'replacement' alternator is, of course, not at all the
right thing.  I'm going to take the worn one apart to see if it looks
like I can replace the bearings myself, and to see if it's worth doing
at all.  Nothing I would do should ruin any core value it has.

-- Jim