Seriously:

Soybeans and corn replace some petro-based products
In Nebraska, Cargill Inc. has become the first company to
commercialize a technology that turns raw corn kernels into white
pellets that can be spun into fabric or molded into plastic. The
materials look like traditional polyesters and plastics made from a
petroleum base, but the process consumes half as many fossil fuels.

The agribusiness company is one of many companies seeking to use
crops, weeds and animal waste in place of petroleum in the
manufacturing process. The Energy Department has said it wants to
convert 25 percent of chemical manufacturing to an agricultural base
by 2030.

At Universities throughout the Midwest, researchers are experimenting
with new biotechnology that includes turning soybean oil into
mattresses and chicken feathers into golf tees.

"Anything you can make out of petroleum, I can make out of corn and
soybeans," said Larry Johnson, director of the Center for Crops
Utilization Research at Iowa State University (Stephanie Simon, Los
Angeles Times, June 26). -- DRL