Dieselers,

With so many postings on ACC troubles, I thought I'd
offer some suggestion on how I deal with ACC problems
on my 123s. The ACCs on both of my cars misbehave but
problems can be minimized with a few simple
procedures:

1.  Always select Defrost mode first after you start
the car. Always. Whenever the ACC is turned off or the
car is turned off you must start over in Def mode.
After 3 or 4 seconds in Def, then select the desired
mode.  You have to do this even in the middle of
summer, and yes it can get hot for a minute or so.
But if you don't initialize the system in Def, the ACC
will misbehave.

2.  Never cycle the buttons quickly.  If you do, it
can switch into the 'ACC From Hell' mode where it
sticks in Defrost mode with the blower on high and
full heat and ignores all inputs. It can stay in this
mode for weeks.  The heat can crack the windshield
Or it might simply go stupid.  Always be very
deliberate and wait a few seconds between each button
selection.

3.  What to do if it sticks in ACC From Hell mode:
Select Defrost, then let it cook for 15-20 minutes
while driving (Ugh!).  It must get real hot inside the
car.  Then select the desired temp and mode.  If
nothing happens, repeat the process, except longer.
This ALWAYS works on my cars, eventually.

With a litte TLC the old ACCs will do their job
reliably.  Try these tips and see if it doesn't help.

Bruce
82 300CD 333kmi 'His'
85 300CD 234kmi 'Hers'
75 240D 185kmi 'Theirs' (Back in Commission)
77 240D 199kmi 'The Brown Car'