I have been trying without success to diagnose a squeaky sound from somewhere
in my 240D.  This seems to happen while just rolling along a country road,
usually after touching the brakes.  The sound of a bird or cricket chirping
will occure for 3 or 4 revolutions of the wheels and is quite loud.  I have
checked all the pads and they are good.  I have ruled out the parking brake and
I am leaning toward rear hub bearings.  I have not yet ruled out rear brakes
but can tell you that stepping on the brake peddle has no effect on the noise
with the exception of a slight clicking on the left rear.  The noise startes
just cruising along about 30-40mph, it doesn't seem to matter if I touch the
brake pedal or not, but it does seem to occure more frequently after touching
the brake peddle.  I'm thinking either the pads, caliper hanging, or rear-hub
bearings at this point.  Nothing in the PO's records of the rear hubs or
calipers being rebuilt, but I did change the rear pads (both sides) last
summer.  The rear hubs on both sides are very hot to the touch after a short
trip, (say less than 10 miles).
Brian from Columbia MO
'82 240D 285,7XX