------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:03:39 -0500
From: "Kaleb C. Striplin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] 85 300D, KLIMA relay?

Why the heck does the 85 300D/SD have a KLIMA relay like the later 603's etc? Its a different relay of course but I dont understand why it would have one. Anyways, the one on my 85 is bad so I am looking for another one, anybody got one laying around they want to sell?
I've been wondering whether mine is bad. A while back when I had the 300D converted to R134a the mechanic wired another relay in that turned on the aux fan whenever the compressor came on. Fine by me, but after I replaced the compressor this time the clutch has started cutting in and out rapidly after it has been running for a while, and the aux fan with it. The new relay chatters in time with this. I can't figure out what is going on - I replaced the silver ice cube relay since it was getting too hot to touch but no change. I suppose the new relay could be bad but it seems to work OK when I test it. I am wondering if the big Klima relay is going. Anyone have any ideas? (I would like to rewire the aux fan so that it comes on only when the car's speed drops below say 15 mph - is there any usable signal to wire to the relay to make this happen? just an idea. I hate it running full blast at speed, seems unnecessary.)

Josh
85 300D 297k miles
79 280SE 125k miles
84 500SEL 240k miles