well, for military applications, .223 is lighter and
you can carry way more of it and you can fire it much
more accurately on auto or 3 rnd burst than .308
becuase of the low recoil. Imagine a .308 machine gun
(M-60...huge). Even on semi-auto, follow up shots with
.223 are much easier (multiple assailants).

I wasn't saying those other cartridges are bad, I was
saying that 5.56 is NOT bad. I have been thinking
myself of getting Bushmasters new AR-10 type rifle,
which is .308.

Now for large game - bear, moose, elk, etc, .223 will
NOT do the job and .308 would be more versatile going
in the person to large animal direction, IMO.

Christopher