How do you know when the front wheel bearings need to be replaced?

Do they get noisy?
Does it become impossible to adjust them within spec?
Do they pit and fracture like a damaged bicycle bearing?
Should you just replace them at some mileage interval?

An inquiring mind wants to know.

I?m on a campaign of cleaning and repacking those bearings in my ?fleet? as I replace front brakes. But maybe I should be replacing some of these bearings.

When the dealer serviced my car, they would sometimes repack the front bearings and sometimes they would replace them. I can?t figure out how they decided.

Ned Kleinhenz
?95 E300D x2
?85 300D
?80 300TD