MB techs don't use dial gauges to set wheel bearing - they'd be laughed out
of the shop. You either have mechanics feel or you don't.  I've never had
problems with any I've done and I always check them after a bit of test
driving.

Setting them with a dial gauge didn't give me any better results and it took
a lot of time to set up with little or no benefit. Once you know how much is
the right amount it's not that hard to reproduce those results. For those
who aren't sure, or do this job once every 20 years, the dial gauge might
not be a bad idea. Most people don't own  a dial gauge though.