On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 07:25:48PM -0500, Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
> OK, on my latest 83 wagon, the story is kid kit a curb, dumped oil out.
>   Ever since has a loud knock.  Anyways, messing with it today, sounds
> like it might be coming from #2.  If it was a rod knocking and not just
> a loud diesel knock, would it still knock when the offending injector
> line is loosened?  On this one, seems to have a knock no matter which is
> loosed, and all cylinders seem to be firing evenly.

Rod knock should not be dependent on the cylinder firing. If anything, the
knock might be a teense quieter when the offending rod's cylinder is not
firing.

I'd probably yank the oil pan to see if you're [still] getting bearing
material in the pan. Usually a spun bearing will have torn through part of
the bearing. 617 cranks are ridiculously hard, you can probably slap
a set of bearings on it for cheap and have a good runner for a while. Not
sure if that'll be easier than locating a runner wagon engine, or swapping a
wagon head onto a runner sedan/coupe engine.