More likely a bad glow plug or leaking valve stem seals.

Regards,

Trampas Stern

  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Curt Raymond
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Hammie's alternator and glowplug relay

Yesterday leaving work I crossed my fingers and Hammie fired right up, again
all the lights came on, I revved the engine and they went out. Lose belt
I'll wager. Give Richard a cigar.

Next question, I've noticed recently that if I wait 1-2 seconds after the
glowplug light goes out before starting the car (like if I'm fumbling with
my seatbelt) he starts noticably harder than if I hit the key the very
second the light goes out. The car still isn't hard to start but if I hit
the key just when the light goes out the car fires immediately, if I wait
its a half second of cranking.

This would indicate to me that the light is a true indication of what the
glow plugs are actually doing. I'd always thought I had the afterglow relay
but today I was thinking about how when first started Hammie idles a little
rough. Could the afterglow part of the relay die?

I presume replacement is quick and easy?

-Curt
'83 240D "Hammie" 242kmi