Oh, I could have done that, I guess.  When I had the engine out for
rebuild a couple of falls ago, you would think I would put new belts on
it as I put it back together.  I knew the thing had seen *zero*
preventative maintenance before I got it.  I knew the belts had at
least 100K on them.  But I reused the old belts anyway.  It would've
been a horrible waste of money on new belts if the engine had cratered
after the rebuild!!

I rocket back and forth to work in this heap, about 18 miles total, all
backwoods NC.  There's an autozone about 20 minutes away from the
house.  So spare parts etc was not the issue.  I simply did not want to
lay around in the weeds on the side of the road fixing belts.  I would
rather tow the car home.

Now my wife's car, a 96 caravan is a different story.  I have a spare
in it, and the single wrench it takes to change it.  Can be done in
about 5 minutes, and simpler than the tie wraps.  Oh I guess the tie
wraps would be a pretty dismal failure on a serp belt anyway (c:

Richard
Vice President of the Jalopinists of NC
Salisbury Branch

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs