Dave M. wrote:
One tiny adjustment... the torque range neeed is, I believe, 30-40Nm,
not lb-ft... make sure you use the proper setting on your wrench.
Over-torquing can damage the pump. The torque procedure is listed in
the TDM (Tech Data Manual), not the normal service manual (don't ask
me why).

SORRY - final torque IS 35 Nm NOT 35 ft-lb. Proper sequence is: torque to 30 Nm and release, torque to 30 Nm and release, torque to 30 Nm and then an additional 5 Nm for the final step. Then, IF the pump makes a racket determine which cylinder is noisy and redo the torque sequence on that one! Needs to repaired promptly as it can damage or destroy the IP.

I'm told that even experienced techs will produce a noisy condition maybe one out of ten times. Happens a little more often for a novice.

Thanks for catching that Dave!! Very careless of me.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm