On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Kevin wrote:

FWIW, my youngest brother's first car is a 78 300D. He hasn't had it a year
yet, but seems to really like it. It was an easy sell to his mother, since
it was (a) cheap, (b) not something with a high center of gravity, and (c)
something that he'd walk away from if he made a mistake, hit a deer, or
got wrapped up in his idiot classmates having more testosterone than brains.

He started off thinking the car was completely gutless (he previously drove
a 24v taurus, and had driven my 85 190D 5spd and 87 300D), but it has really
grown on him. Go figure?

My little brother was the same way. He is "borrowing" my other SD, which he didn't really care for and was just going to use it till he could get a Toyota pickup. Funny thing happened though... everyone at school saw that nice MB star on the front and dubbed the car "cool". Now he really likes the car! :)

John