Hey Hursty,

It's *build* !!  I thought all the folks from NY could spell. (c;

I agree that we have issues in the south, but I actually don't think it
is limited to our area.

I work in the automotive industry in the South.  We do have pictures to
show employees how to assemble parts.  We do spend countless hours
training folks that seem to loose the training overnight.  I am nothing
short of *amazed* at how complex the training issue is here.  I can
spend hours typing out stories that occur everyday in our facility, and
you folks would not believe me.  You just have to be here to
understand.  However, I think it is an issue nationwide, as opposed to
just the bucolic south.  I blame some of it on unions, a much larger
portion on a feeling of entitlement, a dab on management system that is
ignorant to the training that *is* needed, two dabs on all the
multi-national folks we seem to embrace, and a dollop on the general
level of education in the South.

I recently trained an employee to run a robotics station.  The basic
job is to load 6 parts on a small aluminum pallet, then hit a button to
run the pallet in front of 2 robots and 2 process stations, then into
an oven.  The operator removes the parts after they are cool.  A
conveyor runs in an oval so she can stand/sit in one place.  When
required, manual operation of the robots consists of pressing 6 buttons
in sequence, all spelled out in a sheet with pictures on the panel.
This is done once a shift to load glue, change brushes, etc.  The
operator never lifts anything more than 1 pound.  I was told by the
operator that the instructions were 'way to complicated' and that I
must simplify the system so she can run it.  She actually expected me
to comply with her demand, as she has seniority over all the other
applicants who were clamoring for such a 'pie' job.  She works
elsewhere in the plant now, but we can't just let her go.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]&*

Our plant is of German origin.  The Germans have an entirely different
work ethic, and their educational system works in a significantly
different manner, producing workers who care about what they do.  When
the Germans decided to build this plant, they were completely unaware
of the difficulty they would encounter from work ethic, lack of quality
education, and language barriers.  The process they used for years
simply did not work in the American South.  I have steered my wife away
from an ML as a result of the experience of working in this plant,
which parallels MB's efforts in Alabama.

Richard
( who will preach on the subject at the RustyQ this fall, if prodded )

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs