Personally, I like to loosen the injector lines from the injectors, pull a vacuum with a mity-vac on the shut off valve, and then crank the motor. If the valve is seated correctly there should be no fuel coming from the pump. If there is fuel, it should be a good amount, and then, yes, the valve is installed wrong pushing the pump to a full rich mixture. While this is a bit of labor, it allows a test before assuming a great risk. I used to do this when learning the feel for a properly installed shut off valve.

When the valve is installed properly, before fastening it to the pump, you should be able to pull the valve back and feel resistance from within the pump due the valve being hooked into the pump lever inside. However, it can be misleading if you have never done one before. Use extreme caution if this is your only means of a test.

Should a run away occur, I hear CO2 works well. Personally, I would cut the fuel supply line from the fuel filter housing to the injection pump with a pair of wire cutters. A fuel line is far cheaper than a motor. Ensure you know what line to cut if you should need to. It will be the line going from the filter to the pump. On US spec the line runs to the pump facing the fender, NOT the motor (that is the return line). On Euros the line goes in to the nose of the pump. Your filter housing may have an arrow indicating flow direction. Cutting the supply lines at the feed pump will be moot, as it takes much longer to shut the motor down as all the fuel in the filter will have to be consumed first. Rags may work, but you risk having one ingested into the motor. Not a good thing.

Have fun.

Mathieu