1) All Mobil-1 oils can suspend 2% soot, which is when Mercedes
recommends changing the oil anyway.

2) Every engine's soot production is different. My 617 engine would
reach that 2% limit by 5-7kmi, while my 603's are maybe 1% at 10kmi.
You need to test YOUR engine to find out when to change the oil.
Changing synthetic every 10-15k vs dino every 5k is actually cheaper
when you factor in the cost of filters & your time, and if you buy the
5qt jugs at Mall-Wart (of 5W-40) for <$20.

3) Both the 5W-40 and 15W-50 weights of Mobil-1 are suitable for
nearly every temperature extreme in the USA. No need for thicker oil
in Death Valley summers or thinner oil in Minnesota winters. I
strongly prefer the 5W-40 (Delvac-1) over all the other varieties, I
use this in ALL my cars, gas and diesel.

4) Hey, it's not for everyone, but it's not some big waste of money
either. If people are happy changing dino frequently, great. I've got
piles of oil analysis that prove to me it's cheaper for MY cars to do
extended drains with synthetic, no external bypass filters required.
(Bypass filters are a whole separate topic... but I couldn't see any
advantage for MY use.)

YMMV, etc etc, flame suit on, yadda yadda...

:-)

Dave M.
Boise, ID